Friday, March 20, 2009

Welcome to my new Blog

What an exciting day! Well, maybe not yet for any readers who happen upon this unfinished site. I'm kind of technologically challenged, but I learn best by doing, so I decided to dive right in. Since this blog is mostly to share my knitting interests, I should begin there.
I have been knitting since I was three years old--self taught by observing my grandmother in Austria who spun her own wool and knit everything from (scratchy) undergarments to socks, etc. I remember her amazement that I had produced a garter stitch piece (with lots of dropped stitches).
As a young child in post-war Vienna, I was amazed that my mom could magically make a magazine picture appear as a real sweater. My dad also knit on a very rudimentary knitting machine. Knitting was a source of income for them.
We immigrated to Canada, homesteading, but couldn't afford yarn for any knitting but the essentials.
My knitting re-awakening happened when I was 12, and my youngest sister was born. I secretly knit her a bonnet , booties and sweater in fingering yarn, which cost $0.25 per 1-oz ball ( I think it was Beehive Fingering).
From high school on I knit regularly--my friends affectionately poked fun at me because I couldn't afford to buy trendy clothes, so I sewed for myself, and often during classes I would read stitches and patterns off their storebought sweaters so I could knit (oh, no!!! did I just imply COPY) them for myself.
Other stories to follow. My knitting passion of the moment is traditional Fair Isle--I have ordered yarn directly from the Shetlands. And I love to knit socks--have probably knit close to 100 pairs for myself, and for gifts.
I'm on Ravelry under sproutsnknits, but that site is also not well developed.

3 comments:

  1. Very cool!!! You began a blog.
    Best of luck and I hope you have lots of fun with this. We can look at each other's Fair Isle and socks!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Congratulations on your blog! It is a great way to connect with other knitters and also keep track of your knitting. I would be lost without mine! I have no memory!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I just added you to my Ravelry friends, so I'll be able to follow your knitting and blog process.

    This blogger is a bit annoying sometimes.....but you'll figure it out with time.

    ReplyDelete