Check out my Garden Blog to see more beautiful flowers.
The North Deck is stained. Only 500+ more sq. ft. to go. The can says 72 hours till the stain is fully cured. Then we'll put everything back and start on the next deck.
I took the swing sets down today. That makes me so sad, because every time I take something down or pack up or get rid of stuff, it reminds me that the kids and grandkids are grown. I'm still hoping for some more grandchildren from our youngest two children, but the oldest grandkids aren't settled enough for me to wish for great-grands from them. You will hear this lament over and over.
That was our supper the other day. Fresh cucumbers, cabbage (green and red) tons of tomatoes, and loads of apples.
Braggin' time: Check out the scale reading on this Tomato: 22.2 ounces.
There were 3 tomatoes in all that were 16 oz. or over. Some of these slices were just about 5" across. They came from Supersteak and Ultra Boy plants.
And now for the "Fried Green Tomatoes"
These are easy to make. Cut about 1/4 " slices of green tomatoes. Put flour, salt and pepper in a brown paper bag or plastic bag. Shake the tomato slices to lightly coat. Melt butter or margarine in a skillet. When hot, fry the tomatoes on both sides Until they are brown and crunchy. Make sure they are cooked through or they will taste puckery. When the second side is done, sprinkle a few drops (about 1/4 tsp.) of maple syrup on each slice.
The green tomato season is when we go off our carefully planned weight-loss program, and use as much margarine as it takes to get the green tomato slices brown and crunchy.
Knitting: Honeycomb #3 (natural white)--the back and one front completed. The other front will be done tonight, and, if I'm lucky, the button/buttonhole/neckband will also be done. I just love that pattern. I plan on knitting 3 more for Alpaca Man, all different colors and sizes, then I will modify the pattern and submit it somewhere.
Till next time: A grandma is old on the outside and young on the inside.
(John Wright, age 7 1/2)





Your flowers are beautiful, so is your finished deck! The fried green tomatoes look delicious. That is one big tomato.
ReplyDeletethe deck is looking good! and your tomato is ginormous! Wowza! Enjoy your harvest!
ReplyDeleteOh fried green tomatoes. Seriously, I am drooling right now. I have not had those in so long! Must make them soon :)
ReplyDeleteYour deck looks amazing, that is an impressive amount of space that you have covered.
Gotta tell you, that is one great big tomato. Congrats :)
Hey, thanks for stopping in at my blog so that I could come visit you. I've always wondered how fried green tomatoes were fixed. They sound delish - naturally if they're fried in butter!! We're just working on a new deck too - hope to seal it this week.
ReplyDeleteDo stop in again.
The deck looks great!
ReplyDeleteAnd those fresh veggies... mmmm!
I think fried green tomatoes sounds good. I think I can make that (without butter and syrup) with mods for the LID. Thanks for the receipe. And wow! Those are some huge slices... that's awesome!