But I do have a couple of pictures to hopefully help all my loyal readers be patient with me--tidbits, you might say:
The End of an Era
Just before I went to teen-age-sit my granddaughters, I brought Mom home to bake Christmas cookies "Vanillekipferl", a traditional Austrian Christmas delight. It was so difficult. It took three of us to help her get into the truck--she forgot how to hold on and climb up. Suffice it to say, with all kinds of assistance, and coaching she barely made it. When we arrived home, she climbed 6 out of 7 stairs and on the 7th, she forgot how to step up, and became quite obstinate "I don't want to". Well, we coaxed her up. The cookie-baking was fine--actually, it was wonderful. Then when we had to return to the Nursing Home, she wouldn't go down the stairs--she was afraid . DH put an arm around her, and I put an arm around her other side, each step was an ordeal. Climbing up into the truck was even worse than the first time, since she was agitated and tired by this time. So, this is her last trip home. The Nursing Home has cancelled the Family Christmas Party due to the H1N1 threat, so we have to visit her individually, since large groups visiting are also vetoed for the same reason. This picture is a good memory and a sad one, too.
I finished my nephew's kilt hose. Those skinny legs are not my nephew's. They're mine. Too bad the picture isn't more detailed--blame the model or the photographer. Now if the camera were orange, and had a loader on it, Kubota Man would be able to take great shots.
Till next time: If you can't see the bright side of life, polish the dull side.





Love the kilt hose - skinny white legs and all! Take time this season just to enjoy. don't push yourself as it appears you are prone to.
ReplyDeleteIt is so hard when we realize we are not making our friends or loved ones happy with the visits and they need to end. I have a friend who had very early onset Alzheimer disease. Our coffee group would go and spring her from the secure home and take her out for lunch or dinner. The agitation she felt was far more severe than the fun aspect of a visit with her friends and with a heavy heart I told the group I would no longer go along with this. Hard as it is it is better for her and that is what counts.
ReplyDeleteI'm so sorry about your mother's condition. I have an elderly family friend near me who has Alzheimers and we (her daughter and I) had to stop taking her out for lunch when she didn't even understand where we were or what we were doing. "What's this?" (the menu) She kept standing up to leave, not realizing that we were waiting for our meals.
ReplyDeleteOn a lighter note, the kilt hose are beautiful!
And yes, any help with the huge hole in my socks would be great. I've never darned anything, and the hole looks so huge I'm not sure it's possible. But if you have the time, let me know what I can do - I don't know what happened. I probably haven't worn them more than half a dozen times!
My e-mail is: jmokeeffe@comcast.net
Thank you!
Oh, Sigrun...I'm so sorry for the bittersweet visit you had with your mom. It was so gracious of you to include her in the fun and to go to all the effort to get her there. Deep down, she had to feel that love. I love the picture of her making the cookies...you'll treasure that, I'm sure. I hope you take some time to rest and relax and enjoy the season. Thanks so much for all your kind and precious words to me. They really mean a lot! Merry Christmas!
ReplyDeleteMy mom past in 1990 at the age of 61. It was much too young and I miss her so but it must be hard to have your mom there and miss who she was.
ReplyDeleteSigrun I feel your bittersweet visit. You write and I feel, you have such a way with writing. Hugs! As for your kilt hose -- very nice! They look comfy and functional!
ReplyDelete