Wednesday, August 13, 2014

Annie and Sophie

I love to volunteer at the Nursing Home.  Ten years ago if you had told me that this would be an important part of my life, I would have thought you are nuts.  After all, why would someone want to spend time there if it isn't your job?

Mom lived in the Nursing Home for the last 4 years of her life.  That's how the old people crept into my heart.  Mom opened the door.  We went on trips with the Handi-bus--they are so appreciative of these changes of scenery.

Today we took a group of ladies to Ukrainian Village.  These ladies were pioneers.  They had lived what the costumed interpreters had memorized.  Their take on those pioneer experiences was awe-inspiring, and I wonder what kinds of stories our grandchildren will have to reminisce with their grandchildren (the day the battery went dead on the cell phone?  the day Facebook or Twitter went down?).

Now back to Annie and Sophie. After church one Sunday, I brought Holy Communion to the Lodge.  I always chatted with the seniors after the celebration.   Annie said, "I am almost blind, but I have no pain. God is good".  Sophie answered, "I have lots of pain, but I have my sight. God is good".

I always appreciate God more, and am grateful for all my blessings after spending time with the elderly.

This video tells it all.  I can't find the original version, but in spite of errors of translation, it is still valid.


Till next time:  Hug an elder today

No comments:

Post a Comment