So I made a little road trip last Saturday with the intention of bringing home 50 lbs of cabbage. 50 lbs was 5 large heads-- the number 5 seemed kind of small, 10 sounded better, so I came home with 100 lbs instead.
Some folks sour the whole head, in new plastic garbage cans (which scares me, cause I wonder if they are food safe with brine),
some do the heads alone, some amid their sauerkraut. I prefer to take off the leaves and sour the leaves--the process is faster, and it takes less room while they are souring.
What is needed:
Cabbage, pickling salt, vinegar, lots of water.
A large pot for steaming off the leaves, and I put a vegetable steamer with the stem removed at the bottom.
Two sturdy meat forks, colanders, bowls, potato masher, clean sink, oven mitts.
Containers for souring the cabbage leaves: I have a 3-gallon stone crock, and 3 large food-grade plastic pails that I bought from a local honey producer.
Plates that fit into the top opening of the containers, and quart jars to fill with water to weigh down the cabbage below the brine (I used plastic food storage containers this time).
Clean tea towels to cover.
What to do:
1. Bring the big pot of water to boil, core a few cabbage heads.
2. Prepare the brine: Ratio of 14-16 c water, 1 c salt, and 1c vinegar--heat and stir till salt is dissolved.
3. Carefully immerse the cabbage into the water, cook only long enough to make the outer leaves limp but not fully cooked.
4. With forks, carefully tease off the leaves, place in strainer. When the leaves won't tease off, remove head, allow to cool a bit, and re-cut core.
5. Put several inches of brine in bottom of pickling container.
6. Place all leaves that have been partially cooked, flat into container with brine, layer evenly, every so often press down with potato masher, add brine as needed. As the leaves accumulate and are softened more by their own heat and that of the brine, pack firmly.
7. Put head back in water to soften the next layers of leaves.
8. Continue until all the leaves are off the head. You can pickle the smallest leaves in the heart of the cabbage as well and use them in lazy cabbage rolls.
9. When the pickling container is full to about 2" from rim,
put plate in, push down, add brine if needed, add weight and cover with a clean tea towel. Don't let the tea towel dip into the brine, since it will wick the solution out, and you may find a kitchen counter and floor "brined" (ask me how I know this).
10. Check daily for scum (rarely happens if everything was done hygienically). If the kitchen is warm, it is ready in 4-6 days (taste, since sourness is a matter of preference). It may take longer if it is cool.
11. When sufficiently soured, drain the leaves. Now I cut out any thick veins, and save them for lazy cabbage rolls. I weigh out 3 lbs of prepared leaves and bag them for the freezer. That is enough for a meat or foil roaster of cabbage rolls (4 cups of raw rice). Then I chop up the trimmings: veins, leaves that overcooked, ragged leaves--and put them in 1-2 lb packages for lazy rolls.
12. Freeze. They keep for years. And can be re-frozen if an opened package isn't all used up.
What the heck are lazy cabbage rolls? You can make these with sauerkraut or the cabbage trimmings: Cook rice as for cabbage rolls, but layer the rice and onions and cabbage (and optional chopped cooked bacon) in a casserole and bake them the same as cabbage rolls.
I bet you thought I would share the recipe for the cabbage rolls--that's a family secret. But lots of comments to this post might persuade me☺☺
Update: We now have no cabbage (or kale or brussels sprouts, or swiss chard in the garden)





hallo Sigrun,
ReplyDeletewow soviele Krautrouladen, und dann noch Sauerkraut selber machen , wow kann ich da nur sagen,
wünsche euch guten Appetit, beim Verspeisen,
der tollen Sachen
LG Evi
Such blackmail!😁
ReplyDeleteHere's my comment -is the tally high enough yet? I'm intrigued by the large amount of rice.
Sour cabbage for cabbage rolls? Shows how little I know!! What a huge undertaking but since they keep so well in the freezer they would be worth it.
ReplyDeleteYou had me chuckling at the thought of how you know about the tea towel in the brine issue.
Now about that cabbage roll recipe....................
Okay here's another comment..is that enough to share the recipe?? I like lazy man's cabbage rolls, it simplifies things:)
ReplyDeleteWelcome, Betty. I love your blog since I mostly love food. I will be making cabbage rolls for Thanksgiving (cooking on Saturday) so I will have to take some photos while I work, then I will do a post on both rolled and lazy cabbage rolls.
DeleteThank you Sigrun! I love food too. I shall be waiting for your cabbage roll post.
Delete