Sunday, November 15, 2015

Kopfzerbrechen, Casse-tête, in other words, a BIG Problem

I'm making DGD5 (the baby) a Tinkerbell blanket using a crochet technique called "crochet intarsia", or "graphghan".  This is worked in single crochet, from a chart similarly to a cross stitch chart.  Each box is a sc.  I'm starting with a coloring page, from which I created a chart by photocopying the enlarged picture onto graph paper.  It is 134 sts wide and 170 rows long:
I was going along just fine, when on the right side of her leg, the untidy "feathering" happened.  If you notice on the photo, the lower part of the leg has feathers, the upper part forms a nice smooth line.
Well, that is common in this type of crochet, but I wasn't satisfied.  I discovered that the feathering requires 2 conditions to happen:
a.  a diagonal line in the pattern formed by 1-stitch shifts,
b.  if the diagonal line leans to the right (as in the photo), and the 1-st shift is on the WS row or if the diagonal line leans to the left, and the 1-st shift is on the RS row, the feathering occurs.

So I stopped, played with swatches and came up with this:  The feathering is greatly reduced on this right-leaning diagonal.
And now the left-leaning diagonal--first a bad case of feathering, then greatly reduced feathering:
 I'm so happy to have solved the problem.  The solution is published in my Intarsia Crochet Tutorial, a free Ravelry Download.
So I ripped out 18 rows of 134 stitches each, and am working my way up again.  I'm happy as a pig in mud.

Note:  some of the fine details will be embroidered on later.
Until next time:  Let there be peace on earth--please pray!!







1 comment:

  1. Your talent and capacity for work never cease to amaze. Another glorious project.

    ReplyDelete