Sunday, February 14, 2010

Happy Valentine's Day

HAPPY VALENTINE'S DAY, EVERYONE ♥♥♥

Sorry about last blog post.  At the end of the post, when I had saved it, I got a message that some HTML thing wasn't closed, the whole post, including pictures went into HTML mode, which I can't read, so I couldn't edit after that, nor could I do anything about the formatting.  So, today I began as usual, and as soon as the first five pictures uploaded, everything went to HTML again.
Thanks to Bev,  I tried the new editor,and it sure made everything easier. 

I love history.  I have a great imagination.  When I drive by old, abandoned farmsteads, I stop and walk in, and as I look around I can see and hear the pioneers working and playing.  So it's no wonder I love my old church.  It was built by the Polish settlers in about 1915--they built a church even before they had good houses of their own.  At the time, an artist named Peter Lipinski travelled around this area, painting churches.  He hand-painted our Church--it was completed in 1928. 

Faux-marble--the modern decorators only think they invented the ragging technique.


The panels of the altar area and the pulpit.  I think he must have had a template of sorts, but looking close up, the individual brushstrokes are evident.

The church dome.  This scene was first painted on canvas, then the canvas applied to the dome.  After that he painted out from the canvas onto the dome to blend the two together.

I love being in the church alone.  I really have a spiritual sense in this historic place.  The church seems to breathe with the thousands of breaths of all who labored to build it, and all who have worshipped there in almost 100 years.

On the way home this is what I encountered.  We are having fairly warm weather, but with strong, cold winds.  I love to look at snowdrifts.  The delicate patterns and edges, but I don't like driving through drifted roads.

Our greenhouses.  The smaller greenhouse in the foreground is half-buried in the snow that had slid off its curved surface all winter long.


Beautiful hoar frost.                                                           

Now an update on the renos.  I have 2-10'lengths of crown mouldings up in the Living Room.  They are hiding the speaker wires of our surround-sound system.  I love the look of these crown mouldings.  I was supposed to put more of these on today, as well as baseboards, but the mouldings and saw (my new toy:  Makita compund sliding mitre saw) are in the garage.  Since I am very allergic to sawdust, I can't cut in the house, but the thought of fighting the cold wind to get to the garage and back likely means I'm not doing those today.  The color is a strange sage-greenish-greyish-tan by Behr, called "Koala Bear".













Varnishing doors in the downstairs kitchen.  You can just see a glimpse of the new cabinets.
















The Angel Tree Skirt is coming along.  Angel #2 is close to finished.  Angel #1 is finished.  There will be one more angel on the far right.
 














Kubota Man fired up the small greenhouse yesterday.  Tomorrow we start working in the greenhouse.  There are tags to sort and inventory so I can place the order.  Here is a glimpse of a new Supertunia color.  It's called "Pretty Much Picasso".I'm looking forward to seeing it in person.  All I've seen so far is pictures.









Hi Ho, Hi Ho, it's off to Painting I go.  And maybe I'll put on my woolies and cut some millwork, too.


Till next time:  One day we think, at last, we have escaped the ties of children, their troubles and their demands. And then we feel a little tug---and find ourselves bound, once more, by the needs of our grandchildren.  And their love. (Pamela Brown)

4 comments:

  1. Such a busy life. Your snowy photos look picturesque. I hope you don't get snowed in too much.

    ReplyDelete
  2. that supertunia color is gorgeous...I'll have to keep my eye out for it this spring! Your hoar frost is gorgeous...we've got a lot of drifting roads here too...the snow is just beautiful skipping off the edges. stay warm and enjoy your week!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Your photos of your old church remind me of the missions along the California coast. They are hand painted too. I also like going first thing in the morning so I can be alone. It is a wonderful feeling.

    Your tree skirt is fabulous! So are your renovations. Thanks for all the wonderful photos too.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Awww, sweetie. You are a good blogger friend. I hope you don't think I was unhappy or talking about you. It was just a little rant.
    A blog badge is something created specifically to have other people post it on their sites so I just thought it was fair for them to post other people's badges on their own sites.

    ReplyDelete