After 2 weeks of not posting, all I can open with is a cliché: Time flies when you're having fun. I've been cleaning and organizing, and knitting, and watching, and taking the odd picture, too. So, here goes:
Teddy Bear Baby Afghan: I made this several years ago, and found it when I was re-organizing--because my daughter's friend is expecting, and she wanted to make it for that baby. But I couldn't find the pattern, so I dug around till I found the afghan, and then I wrote the pattern off it. It is a hexagon-shaped shawl. I offered it to my daughter to give to her friend, since I hadn't given it to anyone in all these years. I had made 2 of these, one in sports weight and one in worsted weight.
Organizing: Sigrun's Handy Method of Organizing Fabric Stash (and will later do it for yarn stash, too)
1. Collect about 1000 uniformly-sized boxes (I use the boxes that photocopy paper comes in--I haunt the local schools and bribe the secretary)
2. Build shelving to hold these boxes--I use 2x4's for uprights and horizontal braces and 1/4's for shelving. I made the shelves so they hold 4 boxes across and 3 boxes high on each shelf, with a little wiggle room. That way I never have to move more than 2 boxes away to get to a specific box.
3. Get a 3-ring binder and lots of subject dividers with index tabs.
Measure the fabric, note how wide it is, snip a piece off. Write the width and yardage beside the sample. Staple onto the divider. Fill the box. Number the box with a big felt marker. Label the divider tab with the same number. Start a new page for the next box.
5. Go shopping in your binder.
I always felt guilty when I needed a new outfit and had to buy fabric (or an outfit) because I didn't know where I had a fabric I could use. Now I know I will sew and start to use my stash.
6. Quilting fabrics: I took these out of the general stash, these have their own binder pages, and the boxes are labelled by color.
It is obvious how this could be adapted to yarn stashes. At the present, my yarns are in boxes, with the contents on the outside, but I plan on using a binder.
Mixed-up Christmas Cactus
This Christmas cactus doesn't seem to know that Christmas is long past, and that it's not time for Easter (in case it's an Easter cactus). The truth is, it's my fault. I horribly neglect my house plants, then, when I finally water them, they start blooming, regardless of the season. Like they're saying they are so grateful for a little water.
Winter Scenery in Central Alberta
This is a winter view of one of my nasty flower beds, and the un-cleaned garden.
Doesn't look nearly as bad as in summer. I think that's what landscape professionals mean when they say one should plant for winter interest as well as for summer beauty.
A Cheeky Visitor
The Hairy Woodpecker
This is the male Hairy Woodpecker--you can tell by the scarlet patches on his head. The female is identical, but lacks the red patches.
The Downy Woodpecker
The Hairy and Downy Woodpeckers are identical in apperance except for size and shape of beak. The Hairy is the larger, with a dominant long beak, while the smaller Downy has a little beak with lots of fuzz around its base.
Common Redpolls
These little finches like Nyger seed. The male and female both have little red caps, but only the males have the red breast. These cute little visitors travel in flocks.
Latest Theatre Project
This 24"x96" shawl of Kit Seta is for a production going into dress rehearsal on Thursday. I had about 10 days' notice. All done, they are pleased, and I'm happy to be finished because the dander from the kid mohair gave me some grief with my respiratory allergies.
Project from my Childhood
This filet crochet was my first piece. It was designed by my dad (I have a whole book of his original designs of doilies, tablecloths, runners, even bedspreads--all hand-colored on tiny graph paper). I was about 12 when I made it. The thread is finer than buttonhole thread, but not as fine as sewing thread. I found it as I was going through some of my mom's things, and was immediately carrried back to the time I was making it.
This filet crochet was my first piece. It was designed by my dad (I have a whole book of his original designs of doilies, tablecloths, runners, even bedspreads--all hand-colored on tiny graph paper). I was about 12 when I made it. The thread is finer than buttonhole thread, but not as fine as sewing thread. I found it as I was going through some of my mom's things, and was immediately carrried back to the time I was making it.
A few other updates:
Last week I took Mom to the dentist--her last 6 teeth, lower front had to come out. She did well, even though her gums were sutured. Two days later she was gumming hard cookies. The denturist will wait 2-3 weeks before fitting her with a new denture.
On Saturday my CWL (Catholic Women's League) hosted the Zone Meeting , so we were busy with food prep for 25 ladies. After the agenda and reports were completed we had guest who taught us how to make rosaries. I made myself a glow-in-the-dark rosary to keep in the truck, and another for my daughter. These ladies have made and given away more than 60,000 rosaries in the 9 years since they started this ministry. Their rosaries are in the Cancer Clinic, in the Inner City (Skid Road), and in Third World Countries. Amazing! God Bless Them!
Tomorrow we have painters coming to spray paint our stippled ceilings. They are moving all the furniture, and removing and replacing the light fixtures. After they move the heavy TV Cabinet, I will leave it out and immediately paint the 2 adjoining walls, put on the baseboards and crown mouldings, then replace the cabinet--no point moving it twice.
My basement kitchen cabinets are installed--oh, so pretty. Our SIL, the plumber, will soon install the sink and hood fan, then I will tile (walls) and paint. Floors as yet undecided. Will post pictures when that's finished.





Holy cow you have been busy!
ReplyDeleteI made myself a set of anglican prayer beads a few years ago, and I quite like using them. . .
Oh, I think you need to come to my house to organize everythi....I mean for a nice visit!
ReplyDeleteThanks for the fun winter bird photos. Love the afghan, and your fabric organization system. Your local theatre is lucky to have someone so talented to quickly make such a lovely shawl.
ReplyDeleteHi, I have no idea why you can't post comments on my blog. Perhaps just a temporary thing.
ReplyDeleteThat's a great way to organize you material stash. I love all the bird photos that you have. You sure have way more snow than we do.
Thanks so much for working through the comment issue and saying hi on my blog. I wonder what is going on?
ReplyDeleteDo you use Internet Explorer or Firefox or maybe Safari to access the internet? Let's see if we can figure this out.
You can email me the info from my site.
whew...I'm tired just reading all that you've been doing. Great photos of the birds. you are a wonder. thanks for taking the time to share all of that.
ReplyDeleteYou are busy....I love that teddy bear blanket!
ReplyDeleteI think of you while I am in the greenhouse lady...can't wait till you share your operation!
I can't always get the comments I leave for you to "take" either. We'll see if it works...
ReplyDeleteLooks like you've been really busy. Love your bird neighbors. We have the Downy woodpeckers here too, but without feeders I usually don't see them consistently enough to get photos. Great picture!
great pictures - love the birds in winter...
ReplyDeleteI organize my sewing fabric stash in a similar way - although I leave a little more room to write in details about the fabrics - fibre content, what plans I may or may not have for it. I really should update that book...