Friday, April 9, 2010

Our life Belongs to the Greenhouse

We've had a good Easter Weekend.  I went to Church for Easter Vigil on Saturday night so I could stay home and cook on Easter Sunday.  The tribe descended on us on Saturday night and Sunday Morning.  Much of the food prep had been done on Saturday, so it was just finishing touches.

I managed to get the living room all done--especially the parts where heavy furniture had to be moved back to the wall.  There are some short lengths of baseboards left to put on--which I still have to purchase.  At $2.39 a lineal foot, I didn't want to overbuy.  So one miscut, (in spite of measuring twice and cutting once), and I have to get some more.  Pictures next time.

Our greenhouse endeavours are posted on my garden blog.  Our newly-acquired grand-dog is enjoying the greenhouse and the many greenhouse-guard-cats.

Our dogs, Dazey and Sparky are as adorable as ever.

And now, an update on our lovely, unpredictable Alberta weather.  I had taken a tour of the garden and flower beds, and decided that it was almost dry enough to start rototilling (not planting till mid-May, but preparing) and digging in the flower beds.  On Thursday there was only this little snowdrift on the north side of the greenhouse.

On Thursday evening, and all night long (actually, a good part of Friday, too) a storm came along.  This is how it is now.  It wasn't very cold--just below freezing, but with the wind gusting between 40 and 60 mph it felt very cold.  Nice and snug and comfortable to work in the greenhouse.


My handicraft endeavors consisted of some alterations and mending, and lots of progress on the Christmas stocking.

I had an unfortunate accident in the greenhouse today.  I didn't see a rope (that DH uses to pull hoses in so they don't freeze at night), and was tired at the end of the day, hurrying without looking where I was going, the rope hooked around my foot--or, my foot hooked around the rope, and I landed hard on my knees, and bruised my elbow.  I saw stars and felt nauseated, and I was afraid to try to get up, in case I couldn't.  As I lay there I had lots of comforting kisses from the three dogs.  Then I got up, and went back to work.  Of course, DH had chosed just the moment before the mishap to go to the garage for something.  By the time I came back, I was back to work.  Praise the Lord that no serious booboos resulted.  We'll see how sore I will be tomorrow.
Till next time.  I promise pictures of the Living Room.

6 comments:

  1. Glad to hear you are OK after your fall. That does sound scary. You must be the fastest cross-stitcher in the North-west! The stocking is lovely. I hope the snow gives you a break soon.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I hope you're OK and not too sore. It gets harder and harder to hit the ground without LOTS of soreness, the older one gets, unfortunately.
    Christmas stocking looks lovely. We have snow too... somewhat sadly we got 6 inches Tuesday, and another 4 inches Wednesday AM. Just when it had warmed up for a few days too....
    Well, Spring is still just around the corner... isn't it?

    ReplyDelete
  3. hallo sigrun
    bei den bildern vom garten kann man nur sagen april april
    deine stickerei ist wunderschön
    wünsche dir weiter viel freude im gartenhaus
    liebe grüße
    evi

    ReplyDelete
  4. sorry to hear about your fall - that;s got to hurt. Your cross stitch is wonderful - I haven't the time for it anymore, and gave all my supplies to my MIL, but I do still love it.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hello Sigrund...we connected an almost a month ago when you visited my site. I was just looking around to see if I have talked to all lately and there you are. Hope you are all ok with your fall? What a wonderful pattern you are working on with your stitching the Christmas stocking.
    And look at the great Greenhouse. What kind of plants are you growing? Herbs or flowers?
    My parents in Switzerland have had smaller greenhouses then this but I enjoyed seeing how all grows so nicely in them. Hope to see more pictures soon.
    Oh when I saw your profile picture I recognised you but could don’t figure out where from. As you live in Alberta it would have been too far for us to have met. So I looked some more in your blog....now I know...Sandra the "curlerchick" is my friend too. How small the world can be sometimes.
    Have a nice weekend
    Jacqueline

    ReplyDelete
  6. Glad to hear you were not seriously hurt in your fall.
    I'm glad we don't have the cold and snow but we've had rain for 3 days! and it is suppose to rain for another 3 days.
    I love your stocking! I need to start one for my new grandbaby.

    ReplyDelete