Wednesday, December 16, 2015

Socks, Pickled Eggs and Gingerbread Men

Socks:  Kubota Man likes hand-knit socks.  They don't cut off his circulation at the top.  He has hefty calves and skinny ankles, so I modify the pattern by doing a few evenly-spaced decreases down the center back.  I like the Briggs & Little Durasport yarn for his socks.
Pickled eggs.  I went to the Hutterites for eggs and potatoes, and while at the Egg house, happened to ask the  young lady if they had any very small eggs (when young hens first start to lay, their eggs are very small).  The young lady said yes, but they are about 1 week old.  I was overjoyed because we all know that fresh eggs don't peel well when hard-boiled.  So I brought home two dozen eggs all smaller than 1.5 " long (3.8 cm).  I like small eggs for pickling.
Gingerbread Men  I got lazy this year and bought ready-made cookies at Bulk Barn, then whipped up some Royal Icing to pipe the outline and features.  Some Smarties (hate the new colors--they used to be so bright) and the cookies are well-dressed.

Tomorrow we are having the Christmas pageant at school for our Religion class, then on Friday evening--I'm going with the handi-bus and Nursing Home residents to see the Christmas light displays. 

I hope to have my baking done by the end of Saturday or Sunday, then it's time to start cooking and cleaning and the rest of the Christmas decorating.

Till next time:  We're almost there.  Remember, He's the reason for the Season.

 

1 comment:

  1. Liebe Sigrun,
    wunderschön was du alles machst
    und eine gute Köchin bist du auch,
    ich wünsche dir noch schöne Adventtage
    Liebe Grüße
    Evi

    ReplyDelete