Monday, April 20, 2009

Time to Catch Up

Spring is trying to come to our parts:

IN THE GREENHOUSE: (Purple Spider Osteospermum)










ON THE FARM. (This is where I uploaded a picture for 16 minutes, and with one click, accidentally highlighted it, didn't notice, and deleted it).

(Canada Geese and more wool)














GARDEN JOURNAL: here is my garden today. A real 60'x80' "carte blanche". I hear the rototiller chomping at the bit: "Sigrun, time to plant the sticks!", it's calling me. (will explain stick planting when it happens.) It only looks like the garden is under water. It's drying nicely. Will keep posting regularly about the garden for anyone interested, particularly my 2 new gardening blogger friends.


How would you like this perennial flower bed?


I'm always late cleaning my flower beds. I didn't clean them last fall because of the damage to the greenhouses (see further on).

Actually, I hardly ever clean them in the fall, only this yearI had an excuse.





I feel so fortunate: I just came across Grandma's ( my late mother-in-law's) McCall's Needlecraft Magazines from Winter 1945-46 to 1952. I scanned the cover of the oldest one. (disappointing here). Note the cost (35 cents-can't read ut). I love retro garments. Will post some of my favorites later.






What's happening in my crazy life?

a. The Cowardly Lion's head was picked up on Tuesday Morning. Can't show you pictures because the show is not open yet. If the Theatre sends me a photo I will post it.

b. It's income tax time (our deadline is April 30) finished my Mom's, finished the quarterly sales tax report.

c. The large large man's alpaca sweater--knitting is finished, assembly not. I think I will write the pattern top-down. I'm pondering about short-rowing over the back and sleeves, so the front neckline will be quite low to accommodate a shirt collar and tie.

d. Half the petunias are transplanted; we're 700 sq. ft. short of space because we didn't have time to finish rebuilding the lean-to greenhouse that blew down in a severe windstorm in October. (Severe damage--2 greenhouses repaired before the severe cold in Dec.) Thinking we would get it finished, I didn't reduce my planting plans. Yesterday DH gave me the news-minus 700 sq. ft. DH unpacked the wintered-over perennials, and we will be moving the wintered-over trees and shrubs out of storage. Hope they all survived. The new orders come next week.

e. Next Tuesday, I'm getting my winter tires off. You can blame me if more snow comes. But I promiseI won't wash my winter jacket nor will I pack away the mitts and boots (till at least July).

f. Regretfully told the school that I'm not available for substitute teaching till fall. :( Too busy.


I think this is my 10th post. And I'm thinking that this is kind of like having pen pals when I was a kid--only you don't have to wait as long for the mail. And it's kind of disappointing when you don't hear from them for a while, and you wonder if they got the letter (i.e. read the blog), and you're dying to meet them in person.

Till next time: If the old will remember, the young will listen. (Chief Dan George)























2 comments:

  1. What a huge vegetable garden plot! I envy you! And the green houses and the perennial bed...a waaahhhh...700 sq ft short. I would be happy with even 20 sq ft of greenhouse. But yours is business, mine is pleasure. Big diff. Funny, I was looking at my winter coat, boots and mitts thinking of putting them away for the season. Hmmm...Today is more blogging and knitting for me. And, the last paragraph is how I feel about blogging to a TTTTT! Penpals.

    ReplyDelete
  2. hahahahahahhahahha.....and I seem to remember you not understanding a few years ago why I enjoyed my chat room and email so much....LOL...you make me laugh....*grin*...luv u

    ReplyDelete