I'm sure I've mentioned that I'm a retired teacher. The first half of my career was spent teaching First Grade, the second half in 6th Grade. This little anecdote really happened. This is the story as it appeared in my local paper.
Here in Alberta school ends at the end of June, but I notice on other blogs that in some jurisdicions they are finished earlier, so I feel that this is a good time to share this story.
She lowers herself onto the park bench while the little ones scurry off to play. The summer humming fills her ears and the weariness overtakes her--the exhilarating fatigue of a job well done. The end of another school year!
"Mrs. Jones, I just remembered something! You and I don't have to work next week! Can you come to my house and play with my toys? She smiles at dimple-cheeked Adam (there were several new gray hairs from that one).
Kathy and Grace, inseparable buddies, snuggle up on each side of her. Kathy speaks first, "You know, my mom and dad had sex three times."
"Oh?" the teacher asks.
"Yes, my mom told me that you have to have sex to have babies. My mom had two babies before me. Then they had me. So that means they had sex three times!" (She holds up three chubby fingers to prove the point.)
Grace, without missing a beat, adds "And you know--you get AIDS, too!"
"What do you know about AIDS, Grace?" the teacher asks.
"My mom told me you ge AIDS from kissing girls (if you're a boy). but if you always kiss the same girl, it's OK. but if you kiss lots of different girls, you get AIDS." She thinks a bit. "Know what else, Mrs. Jones?"
The teacher is afraid to ask.
"Last night my tooth got loose. Look , Kathy, a ladybug!"
The children fly and the ladybug flies. The teacher sighs with pride, for they've gained so much. And the teacher cries, silently inside, for the bit of innocence they've lost.
A bittersweet tribute to Grade One Teachers and the parents who privilege us by sharing their children with us.





Do those quotes ever sound familiar... I taught Kindergarten for 10 years, and 1st grade for another 10. I like being retired, but I do miss those funny comments!
ReplyDeleteGood story, and a good time for posting it. I homeschool my two and they still manage to surprise me at times, just not with what their parents said! LOL
ReplyDeleteThanks for sharing this
Such a cute story. Thanks for stopping by to visit my blog. I do a lot of crochet and knitting too so I hope you can stop by and explore that part of my blog. It seems we have a lot in common, as I'm just finishing my career in education (one more year), I'm a gardener and a crafter too, and I live in Canada.
ReplyDeleteit's so true...you never know what kids are going to say next.
ReplyDeleteit's so true..you never know what kids are going to say next.
ReplyDeleteOh that was absolutely brilliant. Thanks for sending me the link, it was a huge smile.
ReplyDelete