We had a lovely day today. The kind of day you have after several days of good rain, when the sun shines again. Yesterday evening Jeanet and I went to church to weed the garden we planted around the Blessed Mother's statue. We replaced some plants that had succumbed to the harsh winter and the spring drought. It is lovely.
Our wonderful priest has been transferred to another parish in Edmonton. While it saddens us, we know that his talents are needed elsewhere, and we believe that life is about sharing our time, talents and treasures (isn't that like blogging?). We had a farewell pot-luck for him after Mass today. A good time was had by all. He is happy that his new parish also has a prayer shawl ministry.
This gardener has the same vice in gardening as in knitting--starting too many projects. When I'm about to procrastinate on a knitting (or sewing) project, for whatever reason, I often just start something new, in the hope that this will somehow re-energize me for the other, less desirable project. Well, guess what happened in the garden? I have many large flower beds (after all, we own 320 acres of land), in various stages of maintenance. The ones nearest the greenhouse are well-maintained because they are demonstration gardens. The worst ones are overgrown with quack grass, dandelions and clover, but I can't Round-up them because the perennials hiding in there were given to me by special people, some of whom are no longer around. Others are in various stages in between. I couldn't go weed the garden (too wet), so I STARTED A BRAND NEW FLOWER BED on the west side of the house, where it was dry enough to work. It's 25 feet long and varies from 3-4 feet wide. I planted 2 Brandon Cedars, a Mock Orange, a clematis, and a Sensation Lilac. I will fill it out with a variety of lilies.
My Honeycomb Sweater #1 is coming along nicely. I'm almost finished the second sleeve. This pattern is so versatile--stretched, it can be incorporated into a lace shawl, I'm already thinking of sweater variations with the stitch. Wouldn't that make a good knitting book: Variations on a Theme, that theme being a single knitting stitch pattern?
I was just reviewing my blog list. There are just too many wonderful blogs out there. I have two blog lists. The ones on my blog, which I intended to be a) Very Interesting and b) Frequent posters. So my bloglist needs to be revised. I have another list of Bookmarked Favorites, on Firefox, all very interesting, but less frequent posting. I'm still trying to limit my time on the computer, so I have to streamline the blog-visiting. If your blog disappears from my blog--yiou have not been rejected--just moved to my other list (please post more). And please, blog friends, leave a little comment so I know you were here.
Till next time: There is a frisson that comes when a small grandchild smiles up into your face and says, "Oh, thank you for bringing me here", exactly as her mother said twenty years before. (Monique)





Beautfiul rose, mine are just about finished and if I got out and deadheaded them I'd probably have more. I loved meeting Jack the Llama. I have to agree with you about blog lists, there are just too many wonderful places to visit and just not enough time. I've been busy with my crochet work lately ... got 2 baby sweaters started and one blanket just about finished ... all for a new granddaughter due in October.
ReplyDeletethat rose is beautiful! Enjoy your days! Can't wait to see your honeycomb cardigan.
ReplyDeleteDo you get yarn from your resident llama? What a treat to have your own source if he does provide yarn!
ReplyDeleteBeautiful plants-I wish I could have a greenhouse, but not enough space, and too hot here, I think.
No, we don't shear him. In our climate it's not necessary. for a couple of reasons--he's not halter-broke, so would be hard to restrain (although he is relatively tame--feeds out of hand, and doesn't shy away when we're in the yard). The mills that do exotic fleeces are far away,so the shipping costs are prohibitive, and they don't process single fleeces. We don't process our 11 sheep fleeces for the same reason.
ReplyDelete