There is a long (does Sigrun know any other kind?) story behind their arrival at the farm.
I DO NOT LIKE DOGS. No, I really don't like dogs. I value dogs for their capacity to be helpful to us helpless humans: dogs for company, guide dogs, police dogs, drug-bustin' dogs, sheep-herding dogs...... We used to raise pure-bred German Shepherds, and were card-holding members of the Canadian Kennel Club. And then one pooper-scoop, chicken-scatter, and one lamb-eating incident too many, and the bloom was off the rose.
Several years ago, I saw these tiny creatures trying to climb into the sheep pen. I thought they might be baby skunks or some other little varmint. Upon closer examination, I found this tiny, fur-ball-y little pair. Our son 'fessed up. His friends A&M, had plans to move into a house, and had to take the puppies while they were still in the apartment. KMJr. offered to look after them at the farm. Knowing how I felt about dogs, he kept their presence a secret--fed them and played with them in the barn. One day, they went exploring, and that's when I found them. They were precious, adorable, just a bit bigger than a handful, and sooooo precious, and adorable (did I tell you how precious and adorable they were?). So they were out of the "closet", and we openly cared for them, and fell in love with them. Well, A&M did not move to a house, and after the puppies' 2-month spell of farm vacation and freedom, I refused to doom them to apartment-dwelling. So I suggested that A&M give them to us (really, NO $$$ changed hands). KMJr. knew the deal was sealed when he heard me say to them, "Come to Mommy, girls".
They are so clever. They have such personality. Dazey (the black one) is the "Blondest" dog I've ever seen, except I think her "Blond-ness" is a crazy-like-a fox act. Sparky is really intelligent. You can just imagine that she is problem-solving. They love the greenhouse season because everyone adores them and the kids come to visit the dogs, associate dogs with plants, and will probably become plant-lovers in later life.
There are other dogs I can easily put up with: the Grandpuppies. Since the Grandkids are grown up or almost so, I look forward to babysitting the grandpuppies: Toby the Pomeranian, and Tundra the German Shepherd cross (KMJr's dog).
This next part is for all you Orange Kitten fans: our orange kitty --all grown up.
Still slugging on the bridesmaids' dresses. Will definitely be finished this week (Wedding is on the 8th of Aug.) come H or high water. The tough part isn't the sewing, it's getting together with the girls--we're 50 miles apart.
Garden: half weeded. Had 5 tomatoes ripe off the vines (2 weeks later than usual), the sheep had a feast of swiss chard--I'll get the second cut. Cucumbers next week. Kohlrabi next week. The flower beds that had been weeded, as well as the strawberry bed, all need re-weeding. The other flower beds haven't been touched yet. Also, YEAY!! I managed to kill out 2 major ant hills. Only 4 more to go.
Till next time: Grandmothers are inclined to bring their grandchildren home muddy, sticky, radiant, exhausted and two hours late. Wise mothers say nothing. (Clara Ortega)





mein gott ist euer orange kitty süß
ReplyDeletewünsche euch weiter viel freude mit dem kätzchen
auch viel spaß beim stricken
liebe grüße
evi
Orange kitty is still beautiful. If I lived on any decent amount of land, I know I would adopt any animal that came by and wanted to live with us.
ReplyDeleteThe doggies really are adorable... I don't blame you for falling for them at all! :)
ReplyDeleteAnd I hope you submit the sweater soon! Good luck on the submission process. I can't wait to see it, you are sooo teasing us! :)
I love puppies and kitties, but neither my husband or I are home enough to have a full time pet. We have one lone kitty, a remnant from the boy who really needed a cat but couldn't take it with him when he grew up an moved away from home. Cat is 15 now and really is starting to show his age. When the weather changes you can see the ache in his poor eyes.
ReplyDeleteYou asked about the fibres I am working with. Most of my practise is on good old Shetland fibres, the least expensive ready to spin wool fibre. Its a long staple so even a beginner like me can make fairly decent yarn once it is plied. I'm not sure I'd wear it in public though. I have several bags of wool to learn to hand card and spin, though it is a fairly coarse wool and won't be good for knitting much and thankfully it was a freebie. The fancy blue was in a bargain bin (partial bag) and is only brought out when I am feeling particularly spinney. I think it is going to be ok once I ply it, but we shall see.
My spinning goals are a lace yarn from natural coloured wools knit in a traditional Icelandic or Shetland sort of pattern. I'm not really into a lot of the hot coloured fibres, not for serious knitting. I like the historical sort of stuff, plain things that match who I am. So much to learn though before I call it good. So much to learn.