Monday, October 5, 2009

Catching Up and Still Puzzled

I'll start off with great news. My Baby (26 yrs. old) just got engaged to a sweet young man from Fiji, who is a chef. The wedding is tentatively Labor Day weekend 2010, although they are considering the $$$ advantages of waiting till 2011. She already knows what dress she wants, but since Mom (moi) likes to make wedding dresses, we are going to the bridal shop next week to see if I can copy it. We will keep you updated on these developments. She wants to get married outside at home (which means all the ugly flower beds will have to be cleaned for sure next year.)
Next item on the agenda: the pictures and updates as to what kept me busy2 weeks ago, as per previous blog:
1. Yellow Socks : Mystery Sock pattern for the Sock Challenge on Ravelry. Started Sept 2, Finished Sept 27.














2. Second Pair of Socks: Seaweed by WendyJohnston, also for the Sock Challenge.














3. My nephew's Kilt Hose--I am using these for one of the October Sock Challenge socks: Men's Socks.















4. Honeycomb Sweater #4 in black. I am almost finished the last piece: only the assembly and neck/button/buttonhole band left to do.















5. All the decks are stained. Only the balusters (slats) left to screw on. Will do this when all the cleanup in the garden and the tree nursery are finished. I think maybe Friday I'll get this done. After we go to the dump again. Notice that the flower pots are all gone.















I love the redwood stain, but couldn't face the prospect of that much red on the deck floor, so I chose a more sandy version. For the rails I used up some old semi-transparent, but prefer the look of solid stain, so, for the under-parts I bought solid stain and I will re-do the rails next year.















6. The swing sets are gone. The old play fort is gone. In their place, due to the damaged trees from the storm, I planted 4 Fat Albert Blue Spruces. They will nicely screen off the damaged part, but maybe not in my lifetime.















My Current preoccupation: The Renovations

Here is the new floor--the kitchen/dining area, adjoining laundry room and the main bathroom. It is a high-end lino, but when Daughter #2 came over--she being a porcelain tile advocate--she thought they were tiles. She was so impressed with the excellent grouting. Only when she got down to check the grouting, she realized they were not tiles. The floor is deeply textured like slate. It is a very matte finish--very slip-proof. We really like it.















See the end wall (dining area as seen from the kitchen).--These are my color samples done in primer. I am strongly leaning towards the sage green on the right, since I want this to be the main color in all the common areas of the house. I'm having trouble with what to do with the trim. I want the trim to be ivory--that's a given. I will put fairly wide crown mouldings around the ceiling. I would like to stack mouldings and make the windows look like in older houses, but I don't want to do this to the doors. I don't know if I can get away with that. Also, we have such lovely oak passage doors to the bedrooms, that I don't want to paint or replace them. Right now all the trim is mahogany stained to match the oak cupboards. I don't know how it would look to paint the trim and leave the doors wooden. And I want to widen the baseboards and paint them also. No rush. We can live without the trim and baseboards finished. Before I finally choose the color, I am going to the city tomorrow to choose the ceramic tiles. Perhaps they will suggest a color.
The dated "country" look knick-knacks will likely be packed away.















This is the wall of oak cupboards on the left side of the dining area. I'm toying with the idea of (assuming that the sage green is a go) using a rich chestnut brown in the space where the plates are hanging. These plates will stay, because I love them, and because they were a Christmas gift from Daughter #2 the first or second year she was away from home. I'd like to paint the bi-fold closet door the same color as the wall, so it disappears, but none of the other doors are going to be painted, so I don't know....















Since we had to remove the toilet in the main bathroom, and it sits inside its own alcove, and the length of baseboard that fits behind the toilet can't be inserted with the toilet in place, I bought the paint for the bathroom and painted the alcove, and also did the baseboards in the alcove. I will post these pics next time. Scary thing: On Wednesday, I'll have to cut 3/8" off the bottom of the passage door, since new underlay was needed and the new lino is very thick. Lots of Painter's tape to prevent the wood splitting, and a brand new skil-saw blade. Kubota Man has already set up the sawhorses.
Tomorrow's Agenda: Go to the city, meet with the Custom Cabinet Saleslady (we are making a second kitchen downstairs for canning and for extra cooking for family gatherings --4 or 5 times a year, about 30 people come over). Also a visit to the LYS, since I don't think I'll have enough yarn for the kilt hose, and I want some teal alpaca yarn to make my OWN honeycomb sweater. Then groceries--for our Thanksgiving this Sunday. And lastly, lots of building materials: the suspended ceiling for the downstairs kitchen, the crown moulding for the upstairs, the ceramic tiles, some more paint for the bathroom, and some millwork samples so I can play with the window design and possibly the door trim.

Till next time: Sweater, n.: a garment worn by child when its mother is feeling chilly. (from Chicken Soup for the Soul Like Mother, Like Daughter)

8 comments:

  1. Ok, in order, my $0.02

    Love the lino. You chose spectacularly well.

    I like the colour on the left best, but I think the sage is great. Having said that, I would go darker - more into the yellowy end. If you stick with that colour, I think you might have to go for white trim, as I think Ivory might look really dirty. If you go with some more yellow undertones in the sage, I think it might work better.

    It will look fine to paint the trim and not your cupboards, but don't paint the top rail on your cupboards by the table. Leave that as is.

    I like the chocolate idea. I think it would show off the plates really well.

    I think you can get away with doing trim only around the windows, if you do something to jazz up the front door trim (maybe those square blocks with the bulls eye at the 2 top corners, with some wider trim?) But I'm not sure if you are going to count your patio doors in the kitchen as doors or windows? I might count the top of them as a window, if that makes sense. I think it might work especially well if you have the same window treatments on all the windows.

    Absolutely paint the bifold door. It doesn't really count as a door, and if I recall correctly, you can't really see the hallway with the bedrooms from the kitchen anyway. Doors should be a different colour.

    Hope that helps, can't wait to see it!

    ReplyDelete
  2. The deck looks wonderful as does the flooring. You certainly have been busy. I love your definition of a sweater and I have used it many, many time.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Good grief woman I am exhausted just reading this. You must be a tornado.
    Congrats to your daughter. If you were here in BC those spruce trees would fill in that space in no time. Rain forest and all.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Reply to Mrs. Spit: Painting the beautiful cupboards is NOT an option. One of the reasons I had trouble with the colors is that it took me a while to realize that the cupboards ARE the main color, so I need secondary and accent colors. With regard to the greens--my first choice was the yellow-green, but I couldn't live with that color in the whole house, and I would likely get tired of that color, whereas the sage is cooler and would last longer. My "ivory" is not a washwater white color, but a very ,very pale yellow.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I agree with Lori E., you are a tornado. I love the new floor and all your other renovation ideas. The knitting is wonderful. Especially love the colors of both pairs of socks, the cabling on the kilt hose is beautiful. Congrats to your daughter on her engagement. I know you will have fun making the wedding dress.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Congratulations! You will be a busy mama next year! Now if only I could find a man for my baby who is 23 years old.

    Your Nancy Bush socks turned out great! I am very impressed that you knit a Wendy Johnson pattern, too! Way to go! You are one busy woman!

    ReplyDelete
  7. First Congrats on your daughters up coming wedding. I had two weddings back to back years.
    The day goes so fast after so much prep you must remember to enjoy th moment.
    How do you get the time to do all those great projects with all the changes going on in your house?
    The floor does look like tiles but will but easy to keep up.
    You have a great kitchen and can't wait to see it done.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Congrats to your daughter! So basically what you are saying is you will be slightly more busy in the next year. ;)

    Your place is looking great!

    And as always your knitting is gorgeous!

    ReplyDelete