As a gift to you on my Bday (Jan. 9), I will share another story with you that I wrote for the local paper some time ago. Some of the references are somewhat dated.
In Praise of Difference
When my DH and I still lived in the city, we had a "different" neighbor, named Shirley (changed to protect her identity). Shirley and I were born the same year.
We both had favorite expressions which we used to guide our children into adulthood. You might say we each had our own brand of wisdom.
I would say, "You want a ride to school? In my day, I walked thirteen blocks to school, rain or shine (true, but I never said uphill both ways in a blizzard).
She would say, "I'll be glad when you're old enough for your license. Then we can hit the road together on our Harleys."
I: "Pull down your miniskirt!"
She wore a miniskirt.
I: "Who's M.C. Hammer?"
She dances like M.C. Hammer and no joints creak.
I: "Curfew is midnight."
She: "They're only young once."
I: " Work before you play."
She: "Let's give it a lick-and-a -promise then we'll boogie."
I: "Walk before you run."
She: "Take a risk."
I: "A penny saved is a penny earned."
She: "Let's put a few bucks down and enjoy it while we pay it off."
I: "Make a plan and stick to it."
She: "Hang loose (be flexible)."
I: "Modesty is a virtue."
She: "If you've got it, flaunt it!"
I: "Isn't Sean Connery's smile sexy?"
She: "I sure like Mel gibson's cute toosh."
I just bought a body shaper: an "I-can't-believe-it's-a-corset".
She burned her bra in the sixties and still hasn't replaced it.
My husband shows me his holey socks, and I say I'll darn them on Friday.
She tells her hubby, "I"ll darn your socks when you fix the runs in my panty hose--buy new ones."
My adjectives are "groovy, neat, and cool".
She describes things as "totally awesome, rad, and like-funky."
I: "I love you, kids♥♥!"
She: " I love you, kids♥♥!"
My neighbour Shirley and I didn't always agree with each other's ways, but we both survived child-rearing.
Our kids all turned out to be responsible citizens.
But I never could figure out why everyone always thought I was older than Shirley.
Franquemont University Access FAQ
3 years ago





"I"ll darn your socks when you fix the runs in my panty hose--buy new ones."
ReplyDeleteOh my that is a good one. This is a very humerous post. Smart and funny.
I have always kept up to date on the things my kids were into. I actually did like a lot of the music, I did play Mario Brothers, Donkey Kong and Zelda games on the Nintendo.
I did drive the boys AND their friends everywhere and in the process got an earful of somewhat interesting if not private conversations.
At one point in the kitchen one of my sons said to his friends "uh guys you do see my mom standing right here don't you?" I took that as the highest compliment.
They have kept me younger and up to date something my mother never was.
Love it! Happy Birthday to you. :) :) :)
ReplyDeleteHallo Sigrun
ReplyDeleteHappy Birthday to you
viel gesundheit , glück wünsche ich dir
hoffe du hast einen schönen tag,
bei uns ist heute nacht der schnee gekommen,
bin nicht sehr erfreut darüber
liebe grüße
evi
ha ha!!! great post!
ReplyDeleteYou know...I am behind in my seed order too! I usually am waiting for the post man around now..and I haven't even placed the order yet!
Yes...we do need to get together since we are in the same province!!! I would just love that! one day we will do that!
I bought some bales of soil today...frozen of course...and a couple of seed packets...but hopefully by the weekend I will have my seed order in and will be ready to get planting!
I was wondering where you had been and it wasn't you! My computer isn't picking up the feeds from your blog! I have missed so much. Loved this installment. Hope you had a happy birthday and are doing well.
ReplyDelete