Like I said, in the previous post, I was nervous but didn't know if I needed to be. If all I did was react emotionally, and not practically, and didn't make adjustments, then, surely, I needed to be nervous. So I made my calls, looked at my planting plans, decided to work on efficiency, and set my determination to grow the best plants at a fair price to the customers and to us.
With that new mind-set, we will continue next year.
This greenhouse season hasn't been as good as previous ones--not because of the new business to the south of us, but because of the weather--late, cold spring, late frosts, then almost daily rains. The recent couple of years of heavy winds has taken a toll on our hanging basket sales--they were the most beautiful we have ever had (lots of sunlight during those cold winter days), but the sales were down. Since I am of the firm belief that these winds are now part of our climate, I plan to reduce the number of hanging baskets. Otherwise, not much will change in our planting plans.
Since this is not my garden/greenhouse blog, now I'll get back to the other activity that I love: knitting.
There's not much to say. Been very busy with non-knitting activities.
Kubota Man's store-bought socks are binding his legs (he's not complaining but it makes me choke), so I decided (you may have noticed that I have not made him even one knitted project since I've been blogging--poor dear) to bump him to the top of my knitting queue and whip up 4 pairs of socks. These are from Briggs and Little Durasport. The finished ones are the color Denim, then there will be gray, oatmeal and forest green. He will think Hell has frozen over.
This pattern is from B&L, and is a really good-fitting sock, snug but not tight. Not bulky since it is called Sportsweight, but is really a thick fingering--and I knit it with smaller needles for snugness. I love this denim color--I think there is a sweater or vest in my future with this yarn.
I'm working on a cardigan, but no progress photos, have finished the Fair Isle Wristlet project for the Master Knitter Program. In progress is an Argyle sock and a self-designed vest in sportsweight, all for that program. My goal is to try to finish this level of the program by the end of July, but at worst, by September. The swatches are all done, but every so often I re-examine a swatch and re-do it. The intensive written work is all finished. My ending sentence in the 2500 word knitting report is my crediting Kubota Man's support for my knitting since when I told him my extensive stash has great R-value (knitters know that means Recreational value), but he inferred that meant it has great insulation value, so he is convinced we save on heating costs, hence supports my knitting.
I am doing well on my yarn diet. I have such a beautiful collection of yarns that I no longer can justify purchases till I have made a significant dent in my stashed yarns. I still like them all, even want to make the projects that they were intended for--so no selling or donating with my stash.
Just for a lark, I started a shawl using yarn from stash, and when the cardigan is finished, I will do a lovely shawl KAL on Ravelry--also from stash.
I almost forgot to introduce you to two new members of our family: Kubota Man II, and Kubota Mom II. A friend of ours received a robot vacuum cleaner for Christmas. She thinks it's just the cat's meow and can't stop singing its praises. So, when it came on sale, I bought KM II--I named it after him, because that's the only way he will vacuum every day. We tell it to clean--it cleans, then goes home to its docking station to re-charge--all I have to do is empty the collecting bin and make sure the hair and yarn (you didn't see this coming, did you?) is cleaned out, and take the dust buster to the filter. It senses the dirtier spots and vacuums in circles over those spots. Meet KM II:
Since the house has two large distinct areas, KM said I should get another one for the bedroom/hallway wing. It was a really good deal at Costco--that one came with two complete sets of replacement brushes, 3 extra filters, and a better brush cleaner to remove hair and, yup--yarn. Meet Kubota Mom II (because that's the only way I will vacuum every day). Kubota Man even suggested getting another one for the kitchen-dining area, but I am definitely still fit enough to get out a broom and dust pan. Plus, I'm running out of names.
Till next time: Courage is being afraid, but going on anyhow.
Franquemont University Access FAQ
3 years ago





Wow! I would love a robot cleaner!!!
ReplyDeleteAnd good for you on the nursery business!
What a great quote at the end of your post. Glad to hear you have granted ourself peace on the business front. Knitting - and a rootic vacuum cleaner - helps.
ReplyDelete