Wednesday, June 5, 2013

I'm Really Upset, but don't know if I should be...

You regular readers would know that Kubota Man and I operate a small family greenhouse.  We have been building our clientele over 20 years, by providing excellent plants, and wonderful customer service.  We are in a rural area, with a limited number of households, so even if we did it better or cheaper we can now no longer increase the scale of our business.  Our clients come from an area about a 40-mile circle around our home.  There is another small business just like ours, we co-operate with one another in an effort to keep the costs down for our consumers, and to learn from one another.  This greenhouse is a younger family just trying to get started.  The third business is larger, also a family business, who have expanded into the nearby small city.

Most of our income stays in the communities in our radius.  Our greenhouses help fund raise for the schools, we donate gifts for silent auctions, support the local dance groups, are generous to the Hospital complex, donate to the seniors' gardening program at the Nursing home and long term care, keep our own parish church gardens supplied with flowers.  The flowers at the school?  Ours--donated.  The list goes on.   This is not to brag, but is background information for what is to come.

As a small greenhouse operator, you get no breaks in terms of your input costs.  No volume discounts.  We often have to buy started plants 100 of a color, which means if we can't sell 100 we either dump plants, increasing the costs of the ones used, or we can't offer that variety of plant.  We are not allowed to propagate extra plants to cut costs (there are very few plants that are not patented).  Advertising costs a fortune, if you don't advertise, your business declines.  Large scale businesses get significant discounts.  I saw one invoice on the office desk of a major greenhouse that I bought plants from--50% discount on the cost of seeds.

But we have found our balance, we are happy with our cost/return stats, we don't expect to get rich on this business--it keeps us healthy and productive and allows us to be active and generous in our community.
So what am I scared about?

A couple of years ago a neighboring greenhouse closed its doors, the property reverted to the bank, and it stood empty for a couple of years.  That makes us sad, since families were involved.  We don't know why they had to stop operating--only gossip and assumptions from that gossip.

Here is the issue.  A  huge conglomerate greenhouse operation from another province has bought the place.  Having had previous contact with one of the owners and her sister (I don't think she is directly involved in the business) through blogging, I contacted them and welcomed them to the community, and inquired about future plans for the greenhouse, as that might require some changes on my planning.  I was reassured that there was no intention to run a retail business there.  This company does wholesale business to three big retailers in the nearby cities.  They grow their plants and finished  pots in the other province (where heating costs are likely less than here), and needed a distribution center from which they would deliver plants to these big businesses in the cities.  I had just visibly relaxed, and felt we could co-exist.
Then, through word-of-mouth from our customers, I heard that there is retail business going on there.  They just started last week, so I wouldn't see any decline in my business yet.  The next testimonial that I got was that baskets are being sold there for $10 (It costs me around $10 in pot, dirt, and plants to make similar baskets, as I get no volume discount on anything), so add to that the heating costs, freight, and our modest personal income, I can't compete by price.  Upon further contact, I was told that there were, indeed plans for a future retail component on that site.

Before I go on,  I am proud to live in a country where Free Enterprise is allowed.  I was allowed to start my business 20 years ago.  I believe that competing business have to have a niche or some quality that makes each one unique, so that's what brings clients to their business.  If all this is in place, a balance evolves, and all the little businesses can survive.  I would not feel any threat if a new family greenhouse  business similar to ours were opening.  That would be a level playing field.  But this is not a level playing field with this new-to-the-community business.  The balance is entirely in their favor.

The clincher:  today I saw a newspaper story about this business, advertising that they are selling to the public at wholesale prices!  I don't know if it was a paid story, or a feature article--will look into that tomorrow (Do I really want to know?  Do I really need to know?).  But when we small greenhouses wanted our story in the paper, we had to commit to a series of 5 weekly ads, to the tune of over $500 to have our story printed.
So if theirs was a feature story, how come we had to pay for ours?  But to advertise the sales at wholesale prices--in a small community (no problem in the city where there is plenty of customer base)--while perfectly legal, and probably reasonable business practice is IMHO rather tacky (and according to my values, a tad immoral, since we had no warning that this is coming, and couldn't make contingency plans.(But Kubota Mom--you just said you believe in free enterprise--tsk tsk tsk. Kubota mom's response to self--but does Free Enterprise preclude fair play?).

Other things to consider:  If our business declines significantly (and I don't know if it will--I am consulting with an industry economic specialist in the next few days), I will possibly not be able to continue to support my community service clubs.  Say, theoretically, my income is reduced , that's money that is absent from my community.  It is not only my profit that is not available to be spent here, but my business does business here--many of my production costs are spent here or near here.  My limited view of economic matters, would say that the profits realized from this new business' local retail venture,  will all end up in the other  province.  And I cannot see how they will support local businesses in their operations here (probably some labor costs).  Our community Dance groups, the Playschool, the local school will likely not look for fundraising help in that other province.  My relationship with the hospital is a long-standing one that involves plant-related volunteer work as well as  cost-reduced business dealings.  Will that be in jeopardy?

I purchase many thousands of $$ of started plants from family-operated  wholesale greenhouses, some fairly local, all of them in Alberta.  I purchase my soil mix from Northern Alberta producers.  If I have to close or severely reduce my operation, that $$ is out of those local communities.  This new business will not be replacing my business to these suppliers--their production is done in the other province.

I have been told (but have no way of confirming this--but if true, adds to the imbalance--yet is part of the free enterprise system) that this company has eliminated some of their middle men:  for example, they own the plant that supplies their pots.  My pots are manufactured, sold to a distributor, then to me--2 mark-ups and no volume discount.  But since this fact is unconfirmed, I'll try not to let it affect my sense that the balance is just tipping further against me.

And all this being said, what has me very concerned because it came without warning. I was quite complacently doing what I was doing best--growing good plants, balancing my desire to make some money with fair prices for my customers.  (Interestingly, when we started our business, the permit process included publishing our plans so residents and other business at least had information, and an appeal process before we could go ahead).  I saw nothing like this about this new business--not that I would have appealed, but I'd have had some warning for planning purposes.  But then, the process would likely not have included retail trade, since the original objective was the distribution center (if I was told the truth in our first encounter).

And yet, I still believe in Free enterprise.  It's just that the very thing that causes us to enjoy our rural lifestyle (which is, in many respects more expensive than that in a more population-dense environment), makes us very vulnerable when it comes to small business vs. big business which have lower input costs for the finished product.

I have a good business, we have a good reputation, we are prepared to scale down rather than go out of business if that is the practical thing to do (can the young family with the new greenhouse afford to say this?), but (conservatively estimating) 1/3 of our clients travel 30-40 miles to our business, and have to pass through that town (about halfway on their journey).  Will they continue on for the other 20 miles? When plants are available at wholesale prices, how loyal will our customers be?

And of course, the wounded me, wants to know whether they even need this out-of-scope income, in my mind it's a drop in their bucket,  but is very significant to us little growers and our communities.  I keep talking about our communities, like I'm trying to appear über-altruistic--but that's not the gist of it.  In  a small community you cannot separate yourself from that community.  You aren't just a faceless body in that community, you are a member, you are part of its fabric.

I am a person of faith, so  while my weak side is nervous (that's an understatement), my faith-filled side will pray for guidance, and listen with open heart for a message from above.  I know I cannot, should not, and will not, bad-mouth the new business.  The lady I spoke to, one of the owners, seems very nice--she has said she'd like to visit us and get to know me--I am still open to this. 

What's Kubota Man's take on this?   He's not attached to things, he's not a worrier, he's not quite as involved in community activites like I am (mostly basks in my shadow, but fully agrees with what I do in the community).   But if retirement is on my horizon, I want it to be on my terms, not being kicked out by circumstances beyond my control.  Like Frank Sinatra sang, I want to say " I did it my way!"

I will consult with the greenhouse economics specialist for guidance.  And simultaneously, will look above for guidance (repeating this for myself).  And with the strength of that faith, I have to convince myself that I'm sure everything will work out just fine.

And grit my teeth and bear it with dignity, when another "I have to rub it in" customer comes looking for a deal on tomato plants while bragging about the $10 pots they just picked up, and asking with a saccharine smile, why I have been gouging the customers by not charging the same  lower price.  Then reply with courtesy and grace:  "You are free to shop at the establishment of your choice."

Some years ago, when our greenhouse business was up and running, I thought that selling trees and shrubs would be a perfect fit for the greenhouse.  But--there was a family with such a business 20 miles away, making a living from that business.  So we discussed the situation and decided it wouldn't be fair to split that income between two families, especially since we had the greenhouse.  So later when that family retired from that business, we filled the niche. This is a very small part of the business--it will be the first thing to go when we are unable to carry the workload. I felt our gain wasn't worth the loss of income for that other family.  But I guess that's not a businesslike attitude.  Since the recent decline in greenhouse traffic, the sales of trees and shrubs has also declined.

Another fact.  When we began the venture, we attended industry seminars, and one of the first rules of economics we were given is never to undercut the competition--offer something better:  better plants, better service, a niche product--since undercutting hurts the whole industry.  It almost seems like their intent is to monopolize the industry--but I don't know that for sure.  They were small operators at one time, too--is the memory that short?

One of my loyal blog followers was quite touched by this and felt she should put it on her Facebook page.  Good thing she told me of her intentions--I asked her to take it down, and she respected my wishes.  This blog, while public, is still more anonymous, since location and names are not revealed.

If any of my readers are believers, your prayers for a the right outcome (whatever that may be) are welcome.
If you are not a believer, please send positive energy.

June 9 addition:  I just read this blog post about local yarn shops versus online or box store yarn purchases.  Its principles are a perfect fit.  She is addressing the consumers in this article.



http://sallymelvilleknits.blogspot.ca/2013/05/saving-world-one-yarn-shop-at-time.html






10 comments:

  1. Ohhhh. I just groaned when I read your post. I hope the mere writing of the post has given you some peace and perspective. Maybe you were meant to retire awhile back and this is your knock on the head to do so. Please keep us posted.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. One of the main reasons we are doing this is for our health. To go to a gym or the pool for exercise (in the winter) is not an option because it's a 70-mile round trip (the cost is not the deterrent). This winter we wouldn't have been able to travel many days because of the weather. DH shovels the sidewalks by hand, but uses machines for the driveways--if I share the sidewalks, neither of us has enough physical activity. While the treadmill and Wii fit is good, it's not a thorough work-out like working an 8-12 hour day is. But I won't lie and say we don't enjoy the extra income.

      Delete
  2. This sounds like what a chain nursery (Pikes) has done to the local nurseries in the Atlanta, GA area. The smaller, local ones are pretty much gone. So we get to buy plants at Pikes, Home Depot (home of abused plants) or Lowe's. I guess zoning is the only way to prevent this kind of thing.
    Good luck with your nursery. Maybe customers will have enough loyalty to still shop with you.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I am so sorry to hear this and my thoughts and positive energy for strength and a calm heart are with you.
    I live in rural Nova Scotia and I know what it means to have a small business and try to make a normal living. For that reason I buy as much as possible from local businesses, even if it means that it will cost me more. I just buy less of the not needed extra stuff.
    I think you are very proactive and wise to consult with someone and I wish that you will be able to retire on your terms.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I think I know what greenhouse business you are talking about...I am SO sorry girl...I hope that the community bands together and supports the mom and pop greenhouses instead of this huge faceless company. I am going to share this on my facebook page..I wish I could help!

    ReplyDelete
  5. The ild double standard. Small businesses have to jump through hoops while large ones come in with open arms. My son and friend had a computer repar shop in our small town. After 5 yrs they closed. They provided superior service and quick turnaround time. Customers and the tow loved them. Stores called on them when they needed help because they knew they would get same day service, less down time for the store.....when pc's go down and clerks have to write everything by hand, they lose business. Then a "name brand" shop popped up and undercut their prices. Simular to the big greenhouse. Why? because they could buy in bulk which made their parts cheaper. My son held his own for about a year longer, but untimately the "big" store put them out of business. Local customers/stores eventually went the lesser expensive way. After they closed, the "Big" store was more slack about their customer service and it took forever to get a quick appointment. That was back in 1999. My son has gone on to get a great job, with the respect that he deserves as IT Tech for one of our big banks in the area. He has a local base but during the Summer he travels from Northern California to Southern California to install new systems in banks they are opening or replacing older systems. He does this by himself. Needless to say I have always been very proud of him, but am glad he is trusted with so much. To this day Store owners/customers will ask if he could come fix their pc next time he's in town, the "big" store is very unreliable and they wish he was still in business. He no longer has time to do outside jobs, when he has down time that's exactly what it is, downtime.

    I pray all works out for you and you do not experience anything similar to this. When first moved here we had nothing but mom and pop shops. The population has trippled in size and the large chains has come and gobbled them all up. We were a small rural town with many, many dairy farms. The developers have come in and offered the farmers so much for their land they couldn't resist. How could thy? It was more than they would ever make in a life time. Can't blame them, but it always comes down to the bottom line.

    Stay strong, keep positive and know we all are praying for you. Take care
    *hugs*deb

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm thrilled for your son, that his life took a much better turn.

      Delete
  6. Oh Sigrun how horrid. The more days I have in my life, the more I dislike the biggi-fication of things that ought to be small and intimate, like home and family building small vibrant communities.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It will be OK. I will have to adjust--no doubt, but contrary to my first reaction, I'm confident everything will work out. We are having to adjust some things anyways, since the fact that our weather has become so windy in the last couple of years, so we'll take it in stride. And it never hurts to become more efficient. When someone else brings the subject up, I don't say anything negative about the other business. I don't publicize my community contributions, but I do make the point that my profits stay here in this community. Thank you for your empathy.

      Delete