Monday, December 24, 2012

Auf Wiedersehn, Mama


My dear mom passed away today, Christmas Eve, in the afternoon. She was surrounded  by her family since Friday, and passed peacefully in our presence.  My brother played "Edelweiss" for her, which relaxed her.  She has been in the Nursing Home for almost 5 years due to the ravages of Alzheimer's.  Until this last spring she still enjoyed (picture above) "helping me" plant flowers in the planters at the hospital complex.  On balmy summer days I would take her for long walks to the little lake, where we would sing old German hiking songs and pick wildflowers (see in her hands)--she loved blue ones.  She would always say:  "I must be so heavy, why don't you let me push you awhile", I would answer: "It's a labor of love, mom", then she would give me a big smile, and muse "a labor of love--I like that".  She was so worried about being a burden.
Christmas Eve was very important to her, so it is fitting that she "went home" on Christmas Eve.  She so missed those loved ones that had gone before her:  her Mom, her brother, her daughter.   Have a nice Christmas with them, Mom.

Rest in Peace,, Mom and look out for us.  I ♥♥♥ U.
I'm sure you know, but I am hoping that your Memorial Service can be on my Birthday, soon.  It is so fitting that on that day, I first met my you, and on that day I will say:  " Auf Wiedersehn, Mutti".


7 comments:

  1. Liebe Sigrun,
    mein Beileid, aber deiner Mutti schaut weiter auf euch vom Himmel herab,und ist bei euch,
    mit stillen Gruß
    Evi

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am so sorry to hear about your loss. I pray for and your family that the memories will soften the pain.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I am so sorry for your loss. It does sound as if you had a lovely relationship through the years and I hope that helps---

    ReplyDelete
  4. I can hear the love for your mother in your words. Although a very sad time you speak of her with such joy. She must have been a very special lady.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Sigrun, I am so sorry and I can feel your love in this post. Be well Sigrun, be well.

    ReplyDelete
  6. My dear Sigrun, I'm so sorry for your loss. Be well, be well.

    ReplyDelete